Going on, continuing our journey.

Believe me, we were NOT going to continue, our nerves were shattered , not sure if we could do this, but then, as Curtsy was fully back to normal, we both said, “HEH!!! we came this far, we are not the giving up kind of people, so lets go!!!!!    On June 12th Curtsy went back into the water, later on in the afternoon, we asked the owner if we could stay till the next morning, the tide would be in our favor too, plus we had to get fuel, that main tank was very empty!!!      The boat was so dirty, so much mud and rocks and grid, we did the best we could to clean her up a bit.   Remember we did not have any fresh water, had to haul it in 6 gallon containers from Ketchikan, a 35 minute drive.     But we were both so grateful, we were not hurt, boat was fixed, yes, it was raining, again, but it cleaned off the boat a bit!!!

2017 haul out Totem Bight 062 Continue reading

A poem


2017 haul out Totem Bight 035

While Curtsy was being repaired….

As Wayne could only do a bit at the time, each layer of fiber glass had to cure properly, we thought we might as well enjoy ourselves, keep our thoughts away from all that happened,   we figured out the bus line, Silverline, and we used it a lot, for $5.00 US , we could travel all day, morning and night, after a while we got to know the drivers quite well, and they us!!     ( there were those two funny Canadiens again , going into town).  On June 10th, we took the bus North bound, we wanted to visit Totem Bight, our busdriver was an impressive looking fellow, First nation, Tlingit, his regular name is Tom, but his First nation name is Earthshake, it suited him!!     He told us about himself, told us about the Haida ,coming here a long time ago and taking over the place, making the Tlingit slaves and taking their women with them.     Well, Earthshake married a Haida, a woman full of fire and her name is Thunderwoman, so you can see this is a marriage full of energy and fire!!!       I noticed that Tom was wearing the most beautiful silver cuffs on his wrists, First Nation carved.

Totem Bight is impressive, we arrived the same time as a bunch of tourists, but they were told to wait , so we quickly headed ahead of them, so i could take good photos, without a lot of folks in them.      Did i mention that the sun was shining???   it was NOT raining????

2017 haul out Totem Bight 001 Continue reading

While Curtsy was on land…..

We ventured out, looked around, there was really nothing more we could do, so we headed into town, met up with Vaughan and Rita and went to Historic Creek Street, and to the totem park.   It rained.         We had to haul our fresh water too, all the way from Ketchikan as there is no water at the haul out.     We used the “sourdough taxi service ” for that.   The drivers were great, very punctual and helpful.

I could not deal with hard noises, never liked them but now, each time, i was back at the accident scene.       I had a hard time functioning, we did not talk about the accident, Bert and i, I kept in touch with our daughter Karen, who ,with her prayers and guidance kept me focused and slowly , but surely i started to feel a bit better.    Eventually, Bert and i had one heck of a good cry about it all, damaging our beloved Curtsy, but also being so grateful for how immensly strong she is.    We figure that a sailboat, with a bolted on keel would have sustained massive damage.

So, we went into Ketchikan, to look around, it has some very nice historic places, i love totems , so i took lots of photos, first of Creek Street, the creek was running full power, so much rain, i took photos of the signs on the walls , writing about the history, this way i would not be typing till midnight.     (LOL)

2017 Glacier bay.......Accident 003 Continue reading


Wayne came over every day, the hole was leaking salt water, so we then realized that the keel was now full of salt water, which had come in ,while the boat traveled to Ketchikan, there is a lot of pressure while traveling through the water.       Like i wrote, we had 100 liters of diesel in the tank, which was now contaminated by the salt water.    Bert now had to take it all out , by using a pump and large, stainless steel buckets. he hauled out 10 buckets of sea water, at 16 liters each, then the rest of the fuel, which was floating on top. By June 8, Wayne was filling in the hole, grinding the damage down, bit by bit, lying on his back, in the rain!!    Bert had made eaves out of duct tape, so the water would stay away from the work area.   Did i mention that Wayne is our age or older???     He and Bert noticed that , once the whole had been cleaned out, that Curtsy has had damage there before.       Now Wayne started building up the keel, using a compound that dries rather fast, he would come back every day, work an our, leave again, let it dry, and add more material.       IN the meantime, our boating friends, Don and Janice, from Waterford, decided that they were not going on, but leaving the boat in Ketchikan and travel by ferry to first Juneau and then Sitka.       They had a marvelous time, we kept in touch with them as much as possible.     Vaughan and Rita tied to the dock at the haul out place, were allowed to stay there for 2 nights, which they did, but i knew they were just itching to go, and meet the deadline for Glacier Bay park.     So off they went, and we did not see them any more till just last week at Maple bay!!!!

Wayne kept on working, he had quoted Bert a price from 800 to a 1000 to fix the boat, we checked later on , and if we would have been home to do this, it would have cost thousands!!!!!           We started to go on the bus to Ketchikan, might as well look around a bit, we had met up with our boating friends downtown and went out for lunch twice, oh my goodness, are the restaurants ever expensive!!!       But remember, 4 cruise ships come into the harbor every day, all summer long.    The town gets huge business out of that, but we noticed that some stores had signs saying, ” owned by local people!!”, so not by the cruise ship company.       Once we were on our own, we would go into town in the evening, when the cruise ships are gone, and then it was very nice to be there.

2017 haul out Totem Bight 062 Continue reading

The accident…..

On June 30th we left Prince Rupert ,i really wanted to go to Dundas island as there are Sandhill cranes there, but because we had a deadline ,having to get to Glacier Bay on the 19th of June, we decided to go to Foggy bay, which is already in the United States.    We called in and asked permission to anchor there.     The tides were very low and very high at the time.     We headed out at 11.30, Baraka Bashad had already left, Waterford was behind us…..      The entrance and exit in Foggy bay is very narrow, but we had the chart, all rocks were marked on the chart, or so we thought……      At 11.39 we hit a rock, very hard, hard enough for the things to go flying down below, hard enough for the batteries, all 6 of them to move 6″ forwards, into the cabin!!     I remember screaming, out of pure horror and fear, Bert told me to take the wheel , and went to the engine room, to check things out and to see if there was water coming in.     i managed to keep the course out, also went on the radio to tell Waterford what was going on, they were very concerned, the USA Coast Guard heard me, and hailed Curtsy right away, they asked me my name, as i was so shaken , i guess to see if i was still with it so to speak, ( i did have to think about it for a few seconds…), no water coming in, all seemed ok in the engine room…….    You need to know at this point that we have a day tank, for our fuel, and i fill this tank every day , once its at half, to make sure we have enough at all times.    The main tank is in the keel, it holds 500 liters of diesel, but i knew we had 100 left in there, the plan was to fill up in Ketchikan.      Anyways, they called me every 20 minutes or so, in the meantime Baraka Bashad , who already was way ahead, came back to be of assistance, Bert took the wheel again, told me ,no, there is no water coming in, (as far as we knew), and i ventured below, and was met with an incredible mess, the shock of the impact seemed to have been centered in the galley, dishes had come flying out, all broken on the floor, a bottle with olive oil was happily emptying on the floor, but the funny thing was , the rest of the boat was just the same, as if nothing had happened.   Another power boat, who had anchored in Foggy bay also, and had left before us,called us and  offered assistance to us, just in case….. We headed to Ketchikan, and i insisted on getting a diver, to check the damage.  It rained, and rained, did i mention that ketchikan gets on average 286 days of rain in the year??     I believe it….      We were assigned a slip in Bar harbour, tied the boat, and i started breathing again, kind of…..     We were so exhausted, Bert did not say much , he was very worried.   The diver came, a very nice young lad, he brought a camera to show us what the damage was, and we realized we needed to haul out.   I need to mention too, that Bert noticed hydrolic oil in the engine room, something was not right……  The next morning, at 7 am, both still sleeping, a knock came at the deck, “harbour master”!!!!    ” You need to move”!!!!!    “WHAT?????”    it was blowing 32 knots, and rain coming sideways!!!!        The boat belonging to that slip was coming back, lovely!!        Both in our pajamas , we got Curtsy going,  no idea where to go, as Bert tried to manouver the boat out of the slip,  i was up at the bow, bare feet, pajamas ,the hydrolics gave out, no propulsion!!!       I think i stopped breathing, now what???   we ended up sideways in the channel, happily settling against the anchor of another boat, the owner was inside, came out after hearing the thud, and in pouring rain, in his pajamas (!!!!), helped us manouver the boat , together with the harbor master, who came running, to the slip at the end.    We have never been so wet, never so cold!!      There we were, hole in the keel, no propulsion, and i just thought, this is it, i am NOT going on any further.       As it happened, the young lad, who dove for us, also knows all there is to know about hydrolics!!       He came back, disappeared into the engine room, which now was a total mess from all the oil, and found the problem!!!       And, not one caused by the accident either.      A hydrolic hose  had originally been crimped too hard, which had caused a weak spot, which eventually would have broken!!!      So, for 14 years, we could have had an accident somewhere, maybe going through Seymour Narrows, anywhere, and then not have any propulsion!!!!     I was so grateful for how it ended up, actually, so meant to be, the young lad put in a new , proper hose, new oil, we cleaned all the old oil, and then planned the haul out.     We had been given the name of the owner of the only haul out near Ketchikan, also the name of the very best fiberglass man in the area, Wayne.     Wayne is a man of very few words, “could he work on the boat??”   ” Yes”!!! “could he start tomorrow??”    ” yes”!!!!    Alright!!!     The USA Coast Guard called me twice more on my cell phone to make sure we were ok, and that arrangements had been made.   We are very impressed with them, they never let up , making sure we were okay.

The diver had come up , holding a piece of Curtsy in his hand, i have that piece, a reminder that something like this can happen to any boater, anywhere, any time.   Remember i filled the day tank with fuel, so we had enough to go the few miles to Refuge Cove, next to Ward Cove, “AIR MARINE HARBOR”  was the company with the haul out .   We hauled out at 9.30.

2017 GLACIER BAY haul out Refuge Cove 021 Continue reading

Meeting new friends.

Again, i have to back track a bit, when we stayed in Klewnuggit inlet, we anchored in the left bay, together with Waterford, Baraka Bashad had anchored in the right bay, here ,in the left bay we met Gail, with his two cats,Tippy and George, both beautiful tabbies, Gail has a wonderful steel powerboat,  MV CRUZEIRO DO SUL, i believe she is 58 feet, and truly a magnificent boat, Gail has become a very good friend, we traveled together with him later on in the journey.     We stayed two nights in Klewnuggit, as the weather in the channel was wild, Vaughan and Rita from Baraka Bashad left ahead of us.     I invited Don and Janice for dinner that night and we had a good time, very relaxing.   The Sunday morning, May 28, we headed to Prince Rupert in calm weather with the tide in our favor.   We traveled 7 hours.

2017 grenville channel glacier bay 093 Continue reading